More and more people are taking a natural approach when it comes to managing joint pain. Natural remedies work more for prevention, and they are also used to help rebuild and protect joints. Take a proactive approach and incorporate these herbs into your care regimen and find relief from joint pain.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin: These substances are naturally occurring in cartilage. When the cartilage starts to wear thin, as it can through osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, you can find yourself in a lot of pain. It is thought that taking these as supplements in pill, tablet, capsule or liquid form can help the body rebuild what was once there. These are safe to take together and are absorbed in the body well.
- Ginger: This valuable root has a multitude of uses. For years, herbologists have used ginger to help with digestion and as a remedy for the cold and flu. It also has anti-inflammatory properties so it can help alleviate symptoms that cause joint pain.
- Boswellia: Studies have shown that this herb, derived from the bark of the Boswellia serrate tree in India, can relieve pain symptoms fast. Some evidence shows this is even safer than aspirin for the two kinds of arthritis. It also works as an anti-inflammatory and has no known side effects.
- Turmeric: Another Indian remedy stemming from Ayurvedic medicine, which is the process of getting the body back to a state of wellness and balance is the use of turmeric. This remedy modifies the immune system which can make it stronger when fighting off the symptoms of joint pain.
- Collagen: Our bodies need collagen to keep our joints from banging into one another. Unfortunately, as we age, this production slows down. Lately there have been a lot of clinical studies run by universities and by different supplement companies that do show a statistical significance of improvement in joint pain when collagen is taken orally. It is shown to collect in the stomach and store in the cartilage, which makes the cartilage stronger.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Another substance that is naturally present in the body is hyaluronic acid. The highest concentrations are found surrounding joints and also in the eyes. If the body is lacking hyaluronic acid it can be ingested or injected with positive outcomes.
- MSM (Sulfur): This is another naturally occurring substance that is used by the body for connective tissue. Sulfur is naturally occurring in a lot of foods, but gets cooked out or removed due to modern food processing methods. Cells need MSM for elasticity and flexibility, and you can increase the amount of MSM in your body by taking supplements. MSM helps sufferers of joint pain by reducing the swelling in joints that cause the pain.
- SAM-E: SAM-E is another naturally occurring mineral in the body that people use to alleviate depression and also to improve overall joint health and osteoarthritis. There are some known drug interactions with SAM-E so make sure you work with your doctor to make sure you have the right combination.
- Cayenne: A little-known herbal remedy to treat joint pain that you may already have in your kitchen is cayenne. While this will not help the worst of sufferers, rubbing a little cayenne paste right on the affected area is a huge help to some because the stinging sensation tricks the nerve endings and takes the pain out of the joint.